The Music Observer 10: Looking back at 2021 [Singles]

Here are my top 10 single-song picks of 2021! (Albums and an introduction are here. EPs are here.)


THE MUSIC OBSERVER 10: SINGLES

Whether a 2-minute sprint or an 8-minute indulgence, is there really anything better than listening to a great song? There is so much good stuff out there, and I feel very privileged to have heard so much of it over the past year. (Note: These are not ranked, but are in alphabetical order by artist name.)

Casual Sex - BLAB  This song from BLAB was a very early feature on the blog, and remains one of my absolute favourites of the year. Fran has somehow distilled every satisfying element of lo-fi pop punk into one song and it's completely delicious: lyrics, delivery, guitar riffs, drum sounds, silences. I've since written about two of BLAB's other releases, and she's put out a fabulous EP this year, too. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, and others, here]

On That Day - Chloe Lorentzen  It was difficult to pick just one of Chloe's many 2021 releases to feature, but I went for this one; it's wonderfully subtle and showcases her judgement very well. The track is steady and leading, building at times, but touches on full power just for a brief moment. This shows that holding back can sometimes be much more effective than going full blast, and for a 16-year-old artist to have grasped that at this stage in her career points to a very exciting future. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on Chloe's music, here]

Moonlight - Dictator  It's no secret that Dictator are one this blog's favourite bands. They've found some real and well-deserved success this year, with a record deal and a SAMA under their belts. Listen to 'Moonlight' (or, actually, any of their other releases - this was another difficult choice to make) and you can see why. The band have built a distinctive sound, founded on huge, emotive vocals and ambient guitars, which seems to speak directly into some inner part of your soul. And they're totally down-to-Earth and honest with it, too. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]

Had To Do It - Five O Fives  I really, really like this band and have enjoyed witnessing their progression and development through each of their releases so far. I see this one as a culmination of their work to date. It includes some really interesting elements pointing to what may be coming next. With the chunky drums and guitar riffs working in balanced harmony with Alice Bloor's direct vocals it's engaging and fun, but robust. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]

Stay - The Florentinas  My word this is a hard-hitting, soul-rending song, particularly when you hear that passionate cry of "I'm far from OK". When I first found the track, I just couldn't stop myself from listening to it over and over. I still go back to it on a regular basis. Once is never enough when a band has poured this much of themselves into a piece of musical art. [Listen here via YouTube. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]

Orbit - Gefahrgeist (feat. Conscious Route)  A late addition to my musical library, the band got in touch with me and shared a preview of this song by email. One listen and I was entirely engulfed by it and knew I had to share my thoughts. 'Orbit' is absolutely epic - a beautiful journey with unexpected twists - and has some incredibly diverse innovative elements. Conscious Route contributes a stunning rap, building in intensity before a brilliant closing fade. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]

Gold Glaze - Greysha  Manager or not, I've always thought that alt-pop artist Greysha has huge promise, and any song that almost reduced me to tears on the train the first time I heard it deserves a place on this line-up. Her (bedroom) studio recordings are rich, intricate and very effective, and with her producer Dan she's evolved and quickly established a distinctive sound which is exemplified in this track. It's catchy, right from that first wind-up of sound at the start; it's of the moment; and it's not a little mysterious. Greysha's live sound is fresh and a little more organic, making the most of her sublime voice. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]

Thumbs Up - The Howl & The Hum  Touching, moving, blissful. Those firmly plucked wavering guitar notes; the fragility of Sam's vocals. It's another song about mental health, trying to reach out to a friend, trying to open up. It really hits home, and will linger with you for a long time, proving again that this band really are at the top of the game, producing almost unparalleled poetic lyrics. [Listen here. Read my thoughts on hearing the band live, here] 

Cheer Up - MEMES  These boys know how exactly to write a powerful laptop-punk tune, which channels angsty anger but is at the same time catchy as all heck. 'Cheer Up' is a prime example. Their sound is raucous and rebellious but extremely, richly listenable. I'm so happy to see the success the band are getting (including SXSW next year!). [Listen here. Read my thoughts on another of their singles, here; and on hearing the band live, here]

Chaise Longue - Wet Leg  I think we all know this song pretty well - it's the one that catapulted Wet Leg into our brains, and set the scene perfectly for the brand of eccentric genius this band would be entertaining us with for the rest of the year. Some find it annoying - I find it captivatingly crazy. Everything that's good about true musical artistry. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on this song, here]