Twisterella 2021: Hyyts + Twist Helix + Jen Dixon + Jodie Nicholson + MEMES

OK here goes with a write up of the first part of my Twisterella experience (confusingly, it's the second post ... the first post, about the second part, is here - yep, there's no logic to me). 

After a solid 2.5 hour drive, and a brisk walk from the hotel car park to Teesside University SU, I started to wonder how I was supposed to suddenly get into the live music mood. 

I didn't need to worry - Hyyts took care of that within seconds of opening their set.  It was a blinder. They came out with full energy, and we were transported almost immediately. It felt like the height of a night out - peak excitement. 

The band - a duo from Glasgow, tipped as ones to watch by Guardian Music earlier this year - were very clearly extremely happy to be there, and delivered top class banter in the brief gaps they allowed themselves as they pushed out their danceable, immersive 80s-inspired music.

A few times during the set, singer Adam let loose with almost primal yells of sheer uninhibited joy. Meanwhile Sam circled his stack of synths, staying cool, but bubbling with energy all the same. It was an amazing start to the day. 

From there, I scurried down the street and around the corner to find Twist Helix just launching into another irrepressibly energetic set. They started with their soaring hit 'Newcastle', building drama, and then releasing huge drums and absorbing bass. It was another euphoric experience, and the crowd packed into TSOne absolutely lapped it up.

I was surprised at the level of sound they produced - it was so full and dynamic, and the setting worked well for their songs, which soar high, and sometimes drop to pulsing synth melodies.

I don't think I've ever seen a band smile so much, adrenaline-fuelled joy was written on their faces for the whole set.

By this time, I was entirely sold on the Twisterella experience, and the mundane trip up the A1 had disappeared into distant memory.  

From there, after a very quick tea break (I'm so rock and roll), I dropped into Rafferty's for a pop-up set from Jen Dixon: a singer-songwriter I've got to know well on social media over the past few months (and who incidentally has a new single, Pretty Face, coming out on 29th October). It was great to meet her, and to finally hear her sing live, on what is her home turf.

Jen played a very strong set of about a dozen songs, including a clever medley of solid covers, easily getting the audience on side and singing along. For me, though, the highlights were always her original material (one of my favourites is 'Which Way is Down?') She has a crisp, clipped style of delivery, singing authentically, effortlessly transitioning from soft to loud, low to high,  and coming across as relaxed but personable.

From there, it was on to the top floor of the Westgarth Social Club for another local favourite, Jodie Nicholson. I'd put her on my list having heard a few of her songs before, and she delivered a very special experience.

Jodie planted herself dead centre of the stage, illuminated in violet light behind a Roland keyboard (moving to guitar a few songs in) - and transfixed us. She told us that she was having to play a more stripped back set than she'd planned (a forgotten USB stick apparently) - but that really didn't matter. Perhaps, in fact, this elevated the performance further, showcasing her beautiful, raw talent

It was all atmosphere, all experience. There were elements of folk, electro alt-pop and Holly Humberstone-indie, all equally bathed in an ethereal musical wash.

If you've read some other write-ups from this set you may already know about the way Jodie dealt with a group of loud talkers, snapping back with absolute authority ('are you going to pipe down, or what?'), and good for her. 

With no time for refreshment it was time to throw myself at the mercy of MEMES, another Scottish duo who became a favourite of mine a while back (see this write-up of 'So What') and who I was really excited to see live.

I knew roughly what to expect from these two, but it was clear not everyone in front of that stage did ... MEMES virgins or not, it didn't take long for most of us to be won over by their laptop punk. They made a huge noise, and crashed out huge energy. 

Paul stood in his jacket, focused and pouting, throughout the set, his stance belying the absolute rollicking bass-lines he was producing. Meanwhile John raged, sung, bounced, ran into the front row, rolled on the floor - his guitar screaming, but never losing impetus. 

MEMES finished their set with 'Cheer Up', and oh boy, it sounded beyond awesome. John persuaded us to chant along, and keep it going for over a minute, as the band played through an extended outtro.

Between some of the songs, John had growled at us to 'follow us on the socials, all that commercial s**t', and at one point after that I overheard someone comment: "He's a very angry person". I can see where that may have come from, but I don't think that comment was on the mark - yes, there is vitriol in some of the music; it's loud, and sometimes angry; but there's humour, empathy and a good spirit to MEMES. And they happen to be really nice people, too. Go and listen to them, and you'll see what I mean.

(That wasn't quite it for me - I moved on to see Venus Grrls, Bored at my Grandman's House, Car Park, and Dream Nails - all of which were outstanding - before the final two bands which I've already written about.) 

As usual, I've added a track from each of these artists to the blog playlist.