The Florentinas: Stay

Another indie band deserving of a much bigger following and destined for great things: The Florentinas. The band are from County Down and seem to have been making waves in Belfast. The story of how they bagged a deal with BMG is inspiring, and these guys deserve it.

The talent of the young band is clear to hear on 'Stay', a song which instantly secured a place in my list of all-time favourites. 

The version that I've been listening to, and listening to, and listening to (linked below) was recorded live at the Start Together studios in Belfast in February 2020. Atmospheric would be huge understatement - this is one of those records that gives me The Shivers. 

A bass guitar begins to play, alone. Then it begins to find support from somewhere out of the darkness. A single voice sings into the void, cautiously and with a slight falter, but then with increasing strength. 

At last there are piano chords, and muted drums, joined by an almost unrecognisably-FXed guitar. The song finds momentum, but stays subtle even as the wave of vocal emotion threatens to break. 

"So take me, make me want to stay

And hold me close -

I'm far from OK, far from OK"

Certainly does it for me.

This band have a great touch, knowing just when to build, and when to back off again; resisting the temptation to shout when a murmur is many-times more effective.

Enjoy.