The Music Observer 10: Looking back at 2021 [Albums]

Here it is: the Music Observer round up of standout albums of 2021. (EPs are here. Singles are here.) 

This was tough to put together - really tough - and that's because, despite so much gloom, 2021 turned out to be an incredible year for music. Just so much amazing creativity poured out for us to enjoy. I'm convinced 2022 will be musically rewarding, too.

First a bit of personal introspection (feel free to skip this para if you want to get straight to the music ...) When I decided to launch this blog in February, my focus was on sharing thoughts, feelings and observations about music I love. My philosophy is the same now, but my direction of travel has changed a bit. I can see that I was in a bit of a musical rut before this project got going, and I'm now in completely the opposite kind of place. I've discovered an amazing new music community, countless new genres and sub-genres. And as live music opened up again, I've witnessed some incredible performances

Big shout out to Greysha at this point, for allowing me the privilege of managing her, and for opening my eyes to new genres and artists as well.

THE MUSIC OBSERVER 10: ALBUMS

For me, a good album is a well-curated collection of great songs which tells a complete, coherent story. It needs to work as a straight-through play, keeping your attention throughout. Here are 10 which did exactly that for me during 2021. I've included some "Honourable mentions" also - these are in no way inferior in my eyes. (Note: These are not ranked, but are in alphabetical order by artist name.)

Screen Violence - CHVRCHES  This record is how I discovered CHVRCHES. It hit me right between the eyes the first time, and never fails to get me up and jumping around the room every time I put it on.  It's sheer euphoria in some places, and not much less than that everywhere else. I love the obviously cinematic feel to it, the deliberately overblown production and choice of instrumentation and vocal heights. The inclusion of Robert Smith on 'How Not To Drown' (the centre-piece of the record) seals the deal. [Listen here]

Nightmare on Elmfield Road - CLOVES  A foray into alt-pop at its best. The scene is set right from the start on 'Manic' (the main melody of which is cleverly repeated in the closing track), and we're then taken on a journey through some of the darker parts of CLOVES' brain. It's highly atmospheric, and - yes, that word again - cinematic, touching on really interesting themes. Lie back, listen, and enjoy exploring the darker parts of your brain. [Listen here]

New Long Leg - Dry Cleaning  Punk in attitude, deadpan in delivery, and yes, a few brief moments of actual singing. This is a record displaying elements of sheer genius, perfectly reflecting some of the most mundane elements of UK life, but in a completely engaging way. In my view, this album changed the course of music this year; it's one of those records which restores faith in true artistry. It's wry, funny and a good listen - hitting every nail squarely on the head. I am genuinely very excited to see them live early next year.  [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on the full album, here]

From Dreams to Dust - The Felice Brothers  'Jazz On The Autobahn' opens the album and sets the scene perfectly: it's a fabulously paced song, fusing elements of American folk, rock and blues, and lyrically full of Dylan-esque witty lines. And that applies to the whole album. 'To-Do List' is dark genius, and 'Valium' and 'Inferno' stand in their own right as some of the best songs of the year. Tip: this is a really good road-trip record. [Listen here. Read my thoughts on one of the songs on the album, here]

If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power - Halsey  A year ago, I wouldn't have gone near this genre - forgive me. Halsey's record opens with 'The Tradition', a song built round a genius minor/off-key piano riff. 'Bells in Santa Fe' is surprisingly chilled, despite dark undercurrents, with the vocals recorded close - you can hear every breath. I like the almost electro-fuzz-punk of 'Easier Than Lying', and 'Darling' is a beautiful guitar-centred ditty, verging on alt-folk. Another standout is '1121', where, again, the use of dissonance works beautifully. Halsey's delivery is laid back, almost slurring in places, but moving to raw power. It's coherent but packed with diversity, innovation and creativity. Brilliant. [Note: Halsey has since released an extended version of the album - even better! Listen here

Crawler - IDLES  Opening with the dark basslines of MTT 420 RR (complemented incongruously with sleigh bells) where Joe Talbot sings in a tender, glowering rasp, through the raucous abandon of 'The Wheel', and all the way to the roaring death-metal of 'The End', this is a really stunning record. 'Stockholm Syndrome' is like IDLES covering IDLES: jarring rattling punk with a brilliant rising guitar riff in the "chorus" section. 'Beachland Ballroom' is in 6/8 time but is still a full-on heavy thrumming rock track ... you get the idea. There's brilliance scattered in liberal handfuls here. An outstanding record. [Listen here. Read my thoughts on the band's unforgettable Tiny Desk performance, here]

The Eternal Rocks Beneath - Katherine Priddy  I've seen Katherine Priddy deservedly go from strength to strength in 2021, and putting out this album has been a key part of that. It's a record which perfectly showcases her talent, and the breath-taking purity of both her song-writing and her voice. And it's so many more things, too: a collection of classically-inspired folk stories; a memory of summer fields; a meditation; a resurrection of modern English folk. [Listen here. Read more of my thoughts on hearing Katherine live, here; and on one of the songs on the album, here]

Small Talk - Soda Blonde  'In The Heat Of The Night', released in April, was the first track I'd ever heard from this band, and it got me interested immediately. That song features third (following the pulsing chilled dance of 'Tiny Darkness' and the slightly menacing 'The Dark Trapeze') on this consistently strong album from the Dublin band. I really like the fusion of alt-pop with so many other diverse elements - snatches of rock, bits of electro-funk, elements of euphoric dream pop. 'Terrible Hands' is another outstanding song. A record to put on repeat. [Listen here]

Maverick Thinker - William the Conqueror  An outstanding album, packed full of firmly-satisfying rocky blues numbers. Every song is well crafted, engaging and delivered with conviction. There's enough diversity to hold your interest from start to finish, but a clear path through the record and obvious coherence. Look out for 'Quiet Life' offering a reflective centre to the record. The production is immediate and feels live, but there's also warmth in bucketfuls. I adore this. [Listen here. Read my thoughts on one of the songs on the album, here]

Blue Weekend - Wolf Alice  Wolf Alice were the first band I wrote about on this blog - they hadn't been on my radar until then, for some unknown reason, and I am so glad I found them, just in time to ride the wave of their success from 'Last Man On The Earth' (I remember hearing the first play on Radio 1, standing outside in the gathering dark), right through to the release of this album and beyond. As an LP, the record ticks all the boxes for me. Some very skilled storytelling, great book-ending, passion, exposure, honesty. [Listen here. Read that fateful first post, here]

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: 

All In - Apollo Junction  A huge album; bold, sometimes brash, anthemic, and always exciting. 

Das Kapitans - Man On Fire  The band's eighth album of 2021, and my personal favourite. Raucous, fun and slightly unkempt.

Downer Disco - The Crayon Set  Colourful, warm, diverse; packed with interest and very likeable.

Jubilee - Japanese Breakfast  Fun, engaging and a little bit different.

Into The Blue - The Joy Formidable  Firm, energetic, euphorically rocky from start to end. 

How Beautiful Life Can Be - The Lathums  A standout debut album - honest, very listenable and sometimes quite moving.

Sometimes I Might Be Introvert - Little Simz  Epic, hyper-confident, but revealing; a soul laid bare in the delivery of a message.

When Does It Become Real? - The Rah's  Ultra confident, swaggering, masterful; packed with massive, anthemic bangers.

Seventeen Going Under - Sam Fender  A good old fashioned collection of punchy, passionately-delivered songs; very cleverly paced.

W.L. - The Snuts  Beautifully crafted. Moments of introspection and mystery, moments of unbridled release. 

Everything's Affected - Tom Lumley & the Brave Liaison  Exciting, inspiring, made to be played loud; this will get you off the sofa and jumping. 

Seize The Power - Yonaka  Raw but honed; heavy yet melodic; modern proto punk to cling to in your time of need.

(I told you it's been a good year!)