William The Conqueror: Move On

I woke up this morning with Move On in my head. It's the first track from William the Conqueror's most recent album (Maverick Thinker). This sort of occurrence is usually a good sign of a perfect candidate for the blog, so I had no choice but to follow the guidance of fate.

I was tempted to write about the whole album, but having just done an album post yesterday, I thought I'd stick to just a single track, for now (although I've include a link to the whole LP below). But I think I need to put this in some context. As mentioned, this is the opening track (of 10), and what an intro this is - it brings energy and drive immediately, and really sets the scene for what's to come on the rest of the record perfectly. I can also imagine how well this would work as an opener to a live show. 

William the Conqueror purveys exceptionally good quality bluesy rock, which in some parts turns a bit rootsy, with a Southern US twist. And these guys are from Cornwall. 

There are influences from other streams of music, too: For example (although, this is probably just me being weird), at one point during one of my many listens to this track, for some reason I was taken back (way back) - to Welsh band 60ft Dolls. It was something in the guitar sound that did it perhaps, tapping into a distant part of my subconscious. 

First off, this is 6/8 song (I'm realising that this time signature often resonates with me). It starts with lo-fi guitar, and then a long, slow, fading-in drum build. It's a very long build, covering a whole 8 bars.

Then in come Ruarri Joseph's fantastic vocals. These have a very special quality. A rich, mellow baritone, with just a tiny, subtle touch of gravel around the edges. I don't really like to do comparisons, but there are echoes of Mark Knoppfler in places.

There's great guitar work in this piece, and interesting use of other instruments (a Hammond organ features at times, sounding like it's been put through some sort of compressor, and also emerging from the mix on the fade out) and engaging lyrics. 

It would be very selfish to ask for any more than that. But if you really want it, and who could blame you, check out the band's back catalogue too. There's some cracking stuff there.


The album: