Rosie Gault: Petals, and a sense of purpose [Interview]

Rosie Gault is a name I started noticing across my social media feeds over the past few months. She's an independent musician, relatively early in her career and currently studying music and gigging in London. Her music struck me as being really personal, very real - there's a genuine warmth to it and a willingness to share and learn with her listeners. Rosie's Instagram profile gives a very accurate summary of her approach: "Pop music and positive vibes ... Writing songs for overthinkers." 

I was really thrilled when Rosie agreed to share a bit more about herself and her approach to making music. (Photo credit below: Amy Lidster)

For those who don't know you yet, could you explain a bit about who you are and how you got into music?

My name’s Rosie and I’m a singer and songwriter, doing a mix of pop and acoustic stuff as I’m really inspired by artists like Taylor Swift, who do a more diverse range of pop songs. I grew up in a very small town in the midlands of England, where next to nothing musical ever happened, so when I turned eighteen two years ago I moved to London! I’d love to say I was fearless but I was very scared. Luckily I made lots of friends straight away at my music Uni and I work with some of them to make my songs and for live performances. 

Before that my love for music mostly came from CDs on long car rides, a need for self expression and possibly the obviously life changing moment that was watching High School Musical as a child.

What's been the highlight of your journey so far?

I think the highlight of music so far for me has to be my social media community. This summer I really threw myself into making content and have been starting to build a proper little world on Instagram and TikTok. My followers named themselves ‘petals’ recently, as my name is Rosie which I love. That is without a doubt a highlight for me and a dream come true.

Sounds incredible! But how does this compare with your plans when you started? Did you envisage yourself being at this point?

Even though I’ve always wanted to make music, it still feels surreal to actually be doing it. I’d say I’m definitely fulfilling my plans. 

I’d never even done an open mic a few years ago and my voice used to shake so much when I first started singing live because I was so nervous! 

Seeing my own growth from that point means a lot to me, as well as my own writing style developing. There’s a lot to be said for moving away if you want to write songs about all your exes and old friends... They’ll never know!

Tell me about your latest release ('Broken Bones')? How did that song come about?

'Broken Bones' doesn’t sound overly romantic on the surface, but I’ll always see it as my first proper love song. It’s all about anxiety in relationships, and how if you’re an overthinker like me, finding the ‘perfect partner’ can bring about a whole new range of anxious thoughts. Ultimately it’s about that feeling you get right after you realise you’re in love, it’s a confession of mine that a part of me always says ‘Oh my god, you’re going to mess this up’. 

I hope the song can comfort others who might feel that way too.

Where do the ideas for your songs generally come from? Is it a conscious process, or does inspiration hit unexpectedly?

My inspiration is usually linked to feelings I can’t express well enough by talking. Sometimes I sit down with the intention of writing, other times it will hit me out of nowhere that I have something to say. If it happens late at night I sometimes find myself writing poems that later become songs; it feels like journaling to me now. 

Recently I’ve also been starting to co-write, for example me and some Uni friends worked together on a track of mine called ‘Medusa’ that I recently began sharing clips of online. I love seeing my audience’s reaction to new music I write. That itself inspires me too.

What do you yourself get from your music?

I get a sense of peace. I try and be quite open about my struggles with mental health, particularly anxiety, and making music really helps me to put some of those racing thoughts away. I always say I never get over anything or anyone, and I make a lot of jokes about it, but it does weigh on me heavily. Writing, singing or listening to a song that directly expresses those feelings frees me in a way nothing else can. 

Seeing others feel the same about my music also brings me a sense of validation and purpose that I wouldn’t give up for the world, I feel like I was meant to do this.

And what do you hope others get from it?

Ultimately I hope others get a sense of being seen from my music. I don’t care if you’re missing a friend you haven’t spoken to in five years, you’re crying about an ex you barely even dated, or you just need a bit of a pick me up — I’ve been there and my music is always here too when you need it.

What is your approach to live performance?

My approach is to be as sincere as possible. I really love having other live musicians with me so we can motivate each other on stage, and I love making jokes and talking to the audience. Even when I do acoustic sets I always find a way to dance around — seems a shame not to when I’ve dressed up right? Singing unreleased songs live is also a love of mine, it feels like the most well known secret.

What's next for you?

I have so much planned I feel like I might burst! Lots of new music in the works which I can’t wait to share, also starting back at Uni will give me lots to work on vocally I’m sure... 

It feels like a slightly more aggressive version of Glee so I improve quickly under the pressure. Also, the great thing about writing about my own life is that I never run out of things to say, so I know I’ll be filming lots of new videos of me sat at a piano very soon.

Finally - what are your top 3 songs (from other artists) currently? And top album of this year so far?

My top three songs currently are ‘Gave You I Gave You I’ by Gracie Abrams — it’s so raw and emotional! The lyric "You got bored and I felt used" may have had me screaming and crying;

‘BOYS’ by flowerovlove, super fun song by an awesome upcoming artist;

and ‘Dorothea’ by Taylor Swift, perfect for missing an old friend.

Lastly, my album of the year without a doubt is ‘The Secret Of Us’ by Gracie Abrams. I think she may have accidentally written it about my entire life!

You can follow Rosie on Instagram and TikTok, and check out her music below.