Jenny Colquitt: The Musician, Leicester [Live] [Interview]

Jenny Colquitt was one of those artists that helped make lockdown bearable. I discovered her through her livestreams, which  helped eased the pain of those times for me and many other people. So naturally I grabbed the opportunity to see her play live at the The Musician in Leicester, during the early part of her 12-day 'Lost Animals' tour (a follow-up to her EP of the same name, released on 17th February). 

Jenny is a folk/Americana/indie artist with a generous, positive spirit; that was illustrated perfectly by her instant willingness to be interviewed when I happened to see her near the bar a few minutes before she went on stage. 

Jenny explained how the EP is "based on the idea that we're all lost animals in society - it's about being lost, but not being scared about being lost". The inspiration, she tells me, is in part a product of turning 30 and feeling lost, having produced a debut album then wondering where to go next.

MO: It's quite a bold idea, doing this 12-day tour - are these places you've played before?

JQ: I've only played one of them previously - Colchester, a support slot. It's exciting - going pretty much everywhere in the UK - so yes, pretty bold!

MO: Tell me how you got into music - you said earlier that you came to it quite late?

JQ: I've always done music, but I'm newer to playing original music. I did a lot of pubs, clubs and weddings for a while. There was an EP in 2016 which I didn't do much with. Then I was doing an open mic before lockdown, so I took that online with live-streaming and that gave me a new audience.

It was quite organic - I didn't plan it. You could say that it's a positive that came from lockdown, which opened up the uses of the internet, and not just in the music community. It's kind of strange thinking back - it just happened.

MO: And now that you're out playing your own material, does that feel different from your previous experience playing covers?

JQ: I guess more pressure in the sense that I've now got an audience that enjoy the music, and I want to make sure that I give a performance of the same standard I can when live-streaming. And I'm taking it more seriously - it's not just a fun-loving covers gig: my music is quite intricate and quite serious. I'm a little more nervy, but at the same time excited. 

MO: Is it more rewarding?

JQ: Yes, definitely. You get this kind of adrenaline, that usually after a gig turns into a big headache!

MO: Have you developed any gig or tour rituals?

JQ: I'm still getting used to it I think, but this tour has helped. I have to have a huge bottle of warm water with me, all day. The nerves are definitely there - I can't relax. I couldn't go out and find a bar or go out for a curry and chill there. I have to be at the venue. My gigs are quite intense, with listening audiences usually, so it's not I can just mess about. I want to focus - that's very much my attitude pre-gig and also during the gig too.

MO: Thank you!

After I spoke with her, Jenny played a gorgeous and accomplished set, totalling about 90 minutes, backed by three great musicians (Liam on lead guitar, Josh on drums and Pete on bass). Any touch of nerves at the start of the set were completely swept away when she sang - she was obviously in her element, sure and focused. 

The overall impression I got, from my chat with Jenny and then even more so during her performance, was that she had a goal firmly in her sights: a message to express, and specific connections to make. And she really, really wanted to make sure that she succeeded. Jenny genuinely wants you to understand her, at a deep level, and that comes across in her delivery and in the earnest, careful explanations of her songs, their background and the stories they contain. Music is Jenny's gift, and sometimes, perhaps, her burden to bear - but it's a light burden, and made lighter still thanks to her innate and refined skill.

She opened her set by launching straight into 'How do you feel' (from her 2021 album), using the purer elements of her voice and building to a soaring strong outro. 

'Lost Animals', the title track from the EP, was performed with wonderful pace and was the first showcase for Jenny's really impressive vocal range. The band were tight and crisp, with the bass guitar getting deserved prominence.

After the drama of 'The City' - a 2016 release - came the more recent 'Open Pages'. The band was well warmed up by this point, and attacked the song with warm energy. It's a real builder of a track, and climaxed in a brave and perfectly executed bit of whistling from Jenny. 

A couple of tracks later the band left the stage for a while, with Jenny playing acoustic guitar alone. 'Lifeboat', another track from back in 2016, became one of my favourite songs of the night with its unexpected shift in chord progressions during the interludes. The lyrics are beautiful and reflective, and Jenny sang the words effortlessly and clearly.

Her move to the piano soon afterwards brought an interesting new dimension to the evening, and her performance of  'I am yours' was a great moment. It's a song written from the perspective of a personified addiction; there are echoes of London Grammar in the atmospheric, piano-led riffs, and some brilliant writing: "I lost my way in your head so I'll talk to your demons instead ... I'd rather be kind to your weak little mind ..." Jenny's voice took on low baritone character at times here, as well as soaring for higher reaches in the choruses. By the time she reached the hard-hitting words, "This is love - no one must know", she had the audience rapt. 

After a short interval, Jenny came back with renewed energy and confidence, and powered through the rest of her generous set. In her words, 'I'm Just Lost' (released as a single in 2022, and the lead track from her recent EP) lured us into “a sense of insecurity”. Among other highlights, there was a nice cover of 'The Boys of Summer', a really emotive song called 'Spark' which reflected, without overindulgence, on her pet dog, and a welcome chance for audience participation in a new song, 'Fallen Angels'.

Over and over again Jenny displayed her genuine self to us the listeners. She was completely present in every moment, and wanted to fully share her feelings and intentions. She presented her songs effectively, and, with the help of her well-bonded and committed band, was able quickly to set a clear tone and mood with just the first four bars of each one. 

This was a fabulous performance, and I'll be doing my best to see Jenny perform again soon. 





Date of gig and interview: 22 February 2023. At the time of writing, Jenny has just played her show in London and will be moving on to Brighton and several more venues across the country in March - there are full details on her website.