Amy Papiransky: Living and giving [Interview]

Writing this blog has given me so many new music experiences, and I’ve been introduced to more artists than I can count, sometimes through word of mouth in the new music community, sometimes through a serendipitous working of The Algorithm, and occasionally through direct approaches from artists or their reps.

I have to confess I hadn’t heard the name Amy Papiransky before I received a PR email with a preview of her new album ‘Friday’s Daughter’ (look out for my review of the record for CLASH in October). Amy is a well-connected artist, and for the new album she’s assembled some amazing collaborators and has described recording it as “the best musical experience I’ve ever had.” I was intrigued to find about a bit more about her, and she generously gave up some of her time to answer a few of my questions.

Hi Amy! In one sentence, how would you describe your music and who you are?

I am a singer-songwriter originally from the North-East of Scotland now based in Glasgow and my music is influenced by styles such as folk, pop and country.

What drives you as an artist?

My love of story-telling and I aim to inspire and help others through my songs. Song writing helps me to stay grounded and allows me to express my thoughts and feelings. 

You’re also a high school music teacher - not an easy career! How do you make that work alongside the demands of gigging, recording and the endless admin which goes with being an independent musician?

Good question! I am very lucky to have a manager who supports me with it all. I try my best to be as organised as possible and I really enjoy being busy. It is hard work but I’m so grateful that I am able to do both! 

What do your students think of your other career?

My pupils are very supportive and always show an interest in my music career, which is so nice. I hope by seeing me do it, it will inspire them to pursue a career in the arts.

What are you able to bring / carry over from teaching to being a musician, and vice versa?

I find the practical skills I use in my teaching career, like having to be organised, keen to work, ambitious and upbeat for the young people, very useful tools in my music career. As a musician I love composing and it’s very fun to be able to write songs with my students. I also love doing choir and singing lessons with them.

Your album is due for release on 18th October. Without too many spoilers, what can people expect from the record?

The themes in my songs are very relatable - love, loss, heartbreak, resilience, and strength - so I hope people can really connect with the music.

There are some amazing musicians and guest artists on this album and I can’t wait for people to hear it! The single ‘Fine Print’ [released on 13th September] features KT Tunstall on vocals! I still can’t believe my musical idol is singing with me on one of my own songs. I am so grateful to KT - it’s such a dream come true, a real ‘pinch-me’ moment.

Could you explain the story behind the album title, Friday’s Daughter?

A child born on a Friday is said to be “loving and giving” – themes which are weaved throughout many of the songs on this album. My mum was also born on a Friday, and she is my all-time hero and is the epitome of loving and giving, so I guess it just felt right. 

How does it feel to be putting this collection out into the world after all the work?

I am really proud of this album, and I feel I have grown in so many different ways since releasing my debut in 2019 (musically and emotionally) which is important to me. Overall, I am SUPER excited to share the new music. 

And what’s next - will there be a period of letting the album “settle in” / are you shifting focus?  

There will be a “settling in” period and I am looking forward to seeing how the album goes down with the listeners. It is super exciting to have an album launch gig on the actual release day, so me and the band are looking forward to that. It’s at the Poetry Club in Glasgow on 18th October and it’ll be a lot of fun. Then hopefully there will be a few more gigs and festivals in the near future! 

Finally - what are your top 3 songs (from other artists) currently? And your top album of this year so far?

Right now I am totally loving 'Hello Hello Hello' by Remi Wolf (I can't wait to see her in the Barras soon!). I have 'Giant Feelings' by Eloise on repeat at the moment and also 'Sing' by Travis – a classic! 

I am loving Lola Young's new album 'This Wasn't Meant For You Anyway' - that girl can write lyrics!! 

You can follow Amy via her website, Instagram, X, Facebook, Spotify, YouTube and TikTok. Her new album, 'Friday's Daughter', is released on 18th October.