BACKSPACE: Come Round

Like many of you reading this, I'm guessing, I’ve been listening to music for most of my life. But I’ve only been listening with the aim of writing and sharing my observations for a couple of years. Over that time, I seem to have unwittingly blundered into developing a sixth sense for music that has that indefinable ingredient which triggers emotion in me. It usually only takes the first few bars of a song for that element to jump out at me.

This track, ‘Come Round’, by Leeds-based band BACKSPACE, must have that secret quality; it’s one of those song I pressed play on and within a few seconds had added to my “must write about” list.

It starts with an instantly and beautifully infectious bass riff, joined by muted sounded guitars and then drums. The band give this little theme a bit of time to develop and settle in, allowing us to get comfortable with what they’re presenting before they start telling the story proper. This cleverly sets up lovely sense of anticipation – perhaps without realising it, you find yourself waiting to hear what’s going to be said. Or sung, in this case of course.

The vocals here are delivered somewhat laconically, but with pinpoint accuracy, by Rosie Weston. Her voice presents as utterly relaxed but with a real clarity of purpose, despite the fast-paced delivery, and this somehow emphasises the effect of the lyrics, which although quite straightforward are clever and beguiling.

“I’m running I’m running I’m running in my new shoes; I’d really hate for you to think I’m obsessed with you … But now it’s all gone wrong ‘cause I’m thinking of you, let me know if I’m on your mind too, and we can work this through”

This song has obviously been one they’ve been keeping in their pockets for a while: it was written at the worst point of lockdown (remember that?) as means of expressing the frustration of separation from friends, but has now found air on the other side of that time of collective depression.

Although we’re all in a very different place now, that sense of freedom and release shines through ‘Come Round’. The pace of the song overall is rapid and jittery, with a really attractive polished lo-fi aesthetic. The lead and rhythm guitars and bass are tight, harmonic and nicely layered; and I want to shout out drummer Alex Turner for his skilful weaving in of fills which shadow and mimic the guitar and bass licks perfectly.

This track was the first I’d heard of BACKSPACE. And, after putting it on repeat a few times, I immediately did a very satisfying trawl of their back catalogue. I highly recommend ‘Letting Go’ which is similarly paced to ‘Come Round’; and ‘Turtle Song’, a strongly-messaged, eco-conscious single they released in March 2021, built on a really funky, classic chord progression and use of some great guitar sounds. You can tell this music would be absolutely brilliant to hear live.

This is an exciting band who have established a solid base of material; I feel this will serve them really well as they move to the next level. Exciting times! 

BACKSPACE are Rosie Weston (Vocals), Harry Adams (Lead Guitar), Alex Turner (Drums), Izzy Turner (Rhythm Guitar) and Miles Addie (Bass). Check out ‘Come Round’ below and follow the band in the usual places: Instagram /  Twitter / Facebook / YouTube

A group of people posing for a photo