YNES: Fake What Your Mama Gave Ya [Interview]

YNES is one of those artists who just personifies indie integrity. If you've never heard her music, it can be a bit hard to pigeon-hole (aptly enough): there are elements of indie rock, alt-pop and all those other good things there - but in the end it really can't be described as anything other than the "YNES sound".

The Coventry-based artist's latest single 'Fake What Your Mama Gave Ya' is typically honest, wittily-hard-hitting, and unwaveringly on message. The song calls out what YNES calls "the struggle of middle-class indie boys who dominate the industry" (we all know who they are). 

"Not built for a 9 to 5? Good job you don't need one", she sings. 

This single is also a good example of why, to me, YNES represents the punk ethos in its truest sense - calling out the unjust, unfair and frankly annoying elements of modern society. She also delivers some great song-writing, following the traditions of some of the best socially-conscious folk writers (see Billy Bragg, Beans on Toast).

After completing a headline tour in April, YNES has lined up another circuit of the country in August - that's after the small matter of playing the Leftfield stage at Glastonbury (incidentally curated by Billy Bragg). August also sees the release of her new EP ‘Overgrown Rebel'. I caught up with her in the middle of all of this (thank you to Rich at Indie Midlands for helping to set up the interview) ...

You've just finished a bit of a whirlwind tour - how was it?

It was so much fun! I don’t think I’ve ever been so socially exhausted in my life afterwards but it was so worth it.

There’s truly no experience like it: you take the good with the bad. The best thing for me was finally getting to meet all the wonderful people who found me online during lockdown. The worst part was the driving (and I don’t even drive) ...

How do you keep your energy up - it looks pretty relentless ...

If the tour was any longer I’d definitely have had to be more
sensible, but it was all pure adrenaline. Maybe I’ll have a little more water and fresh air next time.

Is there anything else you can't live without on tour?

Aaron, my friend/photographer/driver/therapist. The Mark to my Jez!

Was there anywhere you had to miss off the tour list and where you'd really like to play?

Leeds and Bristol, maybe Cardiff. They all seem to have a really vibrant local scene.

Are there any musicians you'd particularly like to tour with?

Supporting Benefits was pretty immense - they have such a presence and are just the soundest guys. I’d love to do a joint tour with Ace Ambrose at some point - she’s such a talented friend of mine and I just know it would be chaotic!

How do you approach your song-writing?

It’s definitely a word vomit thing. I try to be structured in terms of approaching a topic I want to write about, then I’ll brain dump any random thoughts I have about that topic and try to separate them into verses and lines. I don’t know how else to do it but it works!

You speak about class/social mobility issues a lot in your song-writing, and are totally open about that subject. To what extent has your background influenced your music? 

I wish it didn’t, but background influences everything in music whether it’s visible or not. I think as a working class musician, I’m naturally drawn to artists who have this same energy. 

Being gravitated towards this DIY sound, you find a lot of artists who don’t generally live the experience they preach about. I think discovering this definitely influenced me to start being more vocal within my writing.

Was there any key point for you where - looking back - you could have given up/gone a different way?

Yeah absolutely. Before I started YNES, I was working an alright salaried job (which at 20, I was lucky to get). It was a steady lifeline for me but I was so depressed knowing there was potential I wasn’t even trying to fulfil. 

I remember being so reluctant to quit that job, but the second I did, I knew it was the right decision. It’s worth having half the money, it’s worth ‘still’ working in customer service - I’d rather die than go back. It’s wild to think I could still be there.

What advice would you give others starting out who may not feel they have the 'typical' or 'right' background, don't have financial support, or don't have the benefit of knowing the right people?

Start small and be relentless with it. Whether it’s Soundcloud demos, music videos filmed on your phone - just put it out there. Genuine passion cannot be bought by big budgets. 

Don’t 'network', take the time to make genuine friendships. Kindness is paramount.