Music Observer Friday highlights - 25.03.22

Last week was a pretty busy week, with lots of new music to choose from - here are my top picks. Remember, the below (and lots of others) all feature on my March 2022 playlist.

Nice Guy - Tonight  See my full write-up here.


Holy Coves - The Hurt Within

Described as "Welsh psych-rock", all I know is that this is a punchy and engaging listen, with a difference. 

The song opens under lifting darkness, and develops gradually into something subtly anthemic and firmly rock-and-roll. There are pulsating drums and pleasingly discordant guitars throughout, while effect-swathed vocals maintain a hovering presence. I'm really interested to hear where this band goes next.

Photo: Dai Eastwood

A Cause In Distress - Submission  There's something intriguing and mysterious about this track. I enjoy the combination of electro fuzz, rapid beats and guitar sounds, especially when combined with these poetic and clearly heartfelt vocals.

'Submission' is the fourth single to be released by electronic duo A Cause In Distress (on Southend-on-Sea-based label Cool Thing Records) and I suspect it will speak to many people with its theme of overcoming a submissive and passive nature. 

"It's a pep talk with myself to push myself more and not be scared of old habits and to embrace and learn from my flaws," says A Cause In Distress. I certainly find that inspiring. 

Avalyn - When We Were Nothing  This track (which came out on on Thursday 24th) is the debut single from Avalyn - and it's a great start. It masterfully straddles the shoegaze/grunge borders, combining the effect-drenched wall of noise approach with satisfying power riffs and layers of vocals.

Avalyn are supporting Sovereigns on 17th May at Liverpool's Jacaranda