Music Observer Friday highlights - 21.01.22

Don't forget that all of these tracks (and others) are on my January playlist

Maya Lakhani - Nightfall  

An awe-inspiring slice of modern power rock which I've been looking forward to for some time. The fact it's self-produced, too, just blows my mind. 

I really love the guitar sounds throughout the track, piled with reverb. I also enjoy the way Maya delivers her vocals - it's slightly understated, but still drenched with attitude and very powerful.

As I tweeted earlier today, I'm not sure this song could be any more awesome! Give her the support she truly deserves.

Jodie Nicholson - Comfortably Numb  Jodie has surpassed herself with this re-interpretation of a classic song, which I know means a lot to her personally. It's immensely beautiful, perfectly measured, and seems to radiate light. Jodie is going from strength to strength, and this recording captures what she's all about. What a talent.

Holly Humberstone - London is Lonely  This is a typically warm sounding, but heart-rendingly emotive, song from Holly. It's a track which tells a very identifiable story for anyone that's ever found themselves at large in a big city, but feeling a sense of loneliness or distance from someone they love. I like the way the song includes some very subtle background sounds in places, evoking the feel of London life, perhaps without you fully realising it.

Mark Stevens - Rodeo (EP)  Mark is a singer-songwriter from Peterborough who I first heard at a Met Lounge gig last year. He's only been performing his own material for a relatively short time, and I was so happy to be at his EP launch event at The Ostrich last night to see all his hard work pay off (by the way, that is a fantastic pub venue, which is incredibly supportive of live music - big shout out to Graham). Mark is a great guy, and this record captures his US-inflected, honest folk/rock writing really well. 'Santa Fe' is still a firm favourite for me.