Alela Diane: Lady Divine

Another beautiful song - really, heartbreakingly beautiful. From the moment Alela Diane's voice, US country-influenced and plaintive, comes in over two folky guitars, you know this is going to be an enthralling listen.

I'm going back through my archives, for the next few posts, sharing some of the music I keep returning to again and again. Part of the reason I like to write this blog is because it helps me realise why I keep making that return. It's easy just to listen without thinking, and I believe it can be very rewarding to step back once in a while.

Back to the music. One thing that's hit me is that structurally this song works really nicely. It helps you to focus on the lyrics, during a very gradual build. This isn't a song with a big, standout chorus section - there's not really a discernible chorus in fact - and the melody is simple and fairly limited in range. But again, this serves to bring you back to the vocals. It's a mysterious, poetic story set to music, and a story which presses on almost without let up, other than some short instrumental breaks. 

There's a comfortable underlay of double bass supporting the song and keeping it simple, grounded and organic. But the song has a yearning feel - a chilly beauty. And as you focus more on the lyrics, this comes to the fore:

When the day, when the day falls to the line
At the end of my time
I call to the dark
"Take the bones off my back"
And I chant to the black
"You were my lady divine"

P.S. - Alela Diane has a solo live stream show happening on 9 April, with proceeds going to fund her next studio album. Details on her website.