Greysha: About You Now

This is the first in a short series of posts which I plan to write this week featuring some talented, young artists.

First up Greysha.

I've chosen this track, from 2020, rather than one of her more recent (and also excellent) releases because it was the first of Greysha's songs that I had the pleasure of hearing. I was skimming through one of the many excellent playlists featuring independent artists, and this one made me stop and listen more closely.

It's hard to pin down exactly what it was that pulled me in, but part of it was the unexpected melodic directions that crop up throughout the song - the decision to take a slightly darker direction - minor rather than major, flat rather than sharp - which makes the listener's brain think twice. 

The instrumentation here is quite minimal which contributes to the atmospherics of the song; a slight chill which stops things from getting too comfortable. Greysha uses her voice skilfully, manipulating it at both ends of her range and really embracing her own natural sound. You can hear a lot of this on her newest, original, release (Aspirin) too.

I've seen words like 'cinematic' and 'dream-like' being used, and rightly so, to describe Greysha's work. She herself talks about 'dark beauty' and perhaps it's this nod to darker places - but without gloom or misery - which makes Greysha intriguing and explains why her music stands out from the crowd.

Edit: I've now linked below to the YouTube version of this (superb) song as the Spotify track is no longer there